Hi Fr! I am 17 and will be entering a beautiful order of Dominican sisters in August! :D When I was discerning there was a sort of pressure to find 'the answer' (as I am sure many people can relate). Now that the pressure is gone I am really struggling with becoming spiritually lazy. I want to deepen my prayer life and spend more time with my beloved <3 and I know that it is essential, but I almost don't know where to begin; its a bit like starting over. Any helpful tips? Thanks!
Well, you’ll get a whole lot of help with that come August, but here are some random ideas that might help you develop some sort of practical resolution:
- Read through the Bible according to one of the many good “reading plans” that are out there. Or just take parts of the New Testament. Or just take the Gospels and read them slowly, meditating on little portions day by day with the aid of a book like this.
- Have you been praying the Rosary often?
- Have you already visited all the shrines and special places of devotion in your area? Visits like that can be good opportunities to pray for your vocation and for all your future sisters (especially those who will be entering this year with you).
- Definitely keeping in touch with a spiritual director this summer will be essential, so that you keep growing and stay motivated. It can be a very difficult time, as the little things start tugging on your heart and the devil does what (little) he can to disrupt the process.
- Been spending time in adoration?
So those are very random things. The big picture is to grow in the natural spontaneous friendship with him, seeking to lovingly desire to do his will through the day. All of what’s above are just means to grow in that friendship.
God bless you, and I’ll pray for you at our Eucharistic Hour tonight!
- Father Shane